Serum Collection Instructions
Serum samples can be submitted for any of our antibody assessment panels. A serum sample is required for all IgE and Celiac panels.
Test kit contents, serum collection kit:
- 2 10-ml Red Top Vacutainer
- 1 10-ml Serum Transfer Tube
- 1 Disposable Transfer Pipette
- 1 Resealable Bag
- 1 Absorbent Pad
- 1 Polyfoam Packer
- 1 Protective Cardboard Box
- 1 Test Requisition Form
- 1 USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box (AK, HI, PR, WA USA only)
- 1 FedEx Express Clinical Pak & Billable Stamp (all other locations)
Please note the serum volume requirements listed on our test requisition form.
- Draw the blood utilizing the Red Top Vacutainer tubes provided. 1 fully drawn Red Top Vacutainer OR SST tube will usually yield about 3-4 ml of serum.
- Allow the blood to clot at ambient temperature for 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge at 3000 RPM for 15 minutes.
- With the Disposable Transfer Pipette, transfer serum from the Red Top Vacutainer into Serum Transfer
Tube. Do not transfer red blood cells to the Serum Transfer Tube.
- Secure tightly.
- Wrap Serum Transfer Tube with Absorbent Pad and place it into the Resealable Bag provided. Seal contents into Polyfoam Packer and then into the Protective Cardboard Box.
- Include Test Requisition Form inside the Protective Cardboard Box.
- Put the Protective Cardboard Box into the USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box or FedEx Clinical Pak, depending on your shipping method. Seal securely.
Diet & Medications
It is advised to adhere to usual dietary habits consuming a variety of foods when possible. Avoid any food that may have potentially resulted in a previous adverse reaction or anaphylaxis. For Celiac Panel, individuals on a gluten-free diet prior to testing may show low or falsely negative serological values.
Immunosuppressive drugs such as oral or intranasal corticosteroids (prednisone, beclomethasone, fluticasone, triamcinolone), and topical cortisone suspensions and creams, may affect test results for antibody assessment.
Hemolyzed, lipemic or icteric sera are rejected.
An insufficient sample may result in the inability to complete testing for all panels ordered. Notification of the panels that could not be completed is issued with the partial items. Follow collection instructions carefully.
There is a $15 fee for submittal of an unacceptable specimen.
Food, Inhalant, Mold & Candida Panels - the lab must receive specimen within 14 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
Celiac Antibody Panel - the lab must receive specimen within 10 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
US BioTek Laboratories is NOT a Medicare or Medicaid provider. Our test procedures are not reimbursable by either.
- Clearly print Patient Name (First & Last), Date of Birth & Specimen Collection Date on Serum Transfer Tube and Test Requisition Form.
- Test Requisition Form must also include:
- Specimen Storage
- Requested Test
- Payment Information.
- Missing or incomplete test requisition information will delay processing and extend turn-around time.
- WA, HI, AK, and PR USA Clients: mail specimen via U.S. Postal Service with the prepaid shipper provided. A more immediate delivery is at the cost of the practitioner.
- All other US States, mail specimen via FedEx with the provided shipper. Do not initiate or request Saturday pickup or delivery from FedEx. Additional shipping charges will be incurred.
- For clients outside USA & Canada: prepaid shipping does not apply. Client is responsible for the shipping cos
- For tracking purposes, keep a copy of your tracking number.
- Specimen may be safely shipped at ambient temperature.
Avoid specimen rejection: Label Serum Transfer Tube with Patient Full Name,
Date of Birth AND Specimen Collection Date. A specimen tube missing this information will be rejected.
Patient Name on Serum Transfer Tube must exactly match Patient Name on Test
Requisition Form. Do not use nicknames or abbreviations. For IgE Inhalant Panel, patient's zip code is required.