Serum Collection Instructions
Serum samples can be submitted for any of our antibody assessment panels. A serum sample is required for all IgE and Celiac panels.
Test kit contents, serum collection kit:
- 2 10-ml Red Tiger Top Serum Separator Tubes
- 1 Resealable Bag
- 1 Absorbent Pad
- 1 Crush-Proof Cardboard Box
- 1 Test Requisition Form
- 1 USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box (AK, HI, PR, WA USA only)
- 1 FedEx Express Clinical Pak & Billable Stamp (all other locations)
Please note the serum volume requirements listed on our test requisition form.
- Clearly print Patient Name (First & Last), Date of Birth & Specimen Collection Date on the two Tiger Top Serum Separator tubes.
- Draw the blood utilizing the two Tiger Top Serum Separator tubes provided. 1 fully drawn Tiger Top Separator tube will usually yield about 3-4 ml of serum.
- Allow the blood to clot at ambient temperature for 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge at 3000 RPM for 15 minutes.
- Place the two Tiger Top Serum Separator tubes into the small resealable bag with the absorbant pad.
- Place this bag into the provided Biohazard bag.
- Put the completed requisition form in the outside pocket of the Biohazard bag.
- Place the Biohazard bag with all contents into the Crush-Proof cardboard box.
- Put the Crush-Proof Cardboard Box into the USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box or FedEx Clinical Pak, depending on your shipping method. Seal securely.
Diet & Medications
It is advised to adhere to usual dietary habits consuming a variety of foods when possible. Avoid any food that may have potentially resulted in a previous adverse reaction or anaphylaxis. For Celiac Panel, individuals on a gluten-free diet prior to testing may show low or falsely negative serological values.
Immunosuppressive drugs such as oral or intranasal corticosteroids (prednisone, beclomethasone, fluticasone, triamcinolone), and topical cortisone suspensions and creams, may affect test results for antibody assessment.
Hemolyzed, lipemic or icteric sera are rejected.
An insufficient sample may result in the inability to complete testing for all panels ordered. Notification of the panels that could not be completed is issued with the partial items. Follow collection instructions carefully.
Food, Inhalant, Mold & Candida Panels - the lab must receive specimen within 14 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
Celiac Antibody Panel - the lab must receive specimen within 10 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
US BioTek Laboratories is NOT a Medicare or Medicaid provider. Our test procedures are not reimbursable by either.
- Clearly print Patient Name (First & Last), Date of Birth & Specimen Collection Date on Tiger Top Serum Separator Tubes and Test Requisition Form.
- Test Requisition Form must also include:
- Specimen Storage
- Requested Test
- Payment Information.
- Missing or incomplete test requisition information will delay processing and extend turn-around time.
- WA, HI, AK, and PR USA Clients: mail specimen via U.S. Postal Service with the prepaid shipper provided. A more immediate delivery is at the cost of the practitioner.
- All other US States, mail specimen via FedEx with the provided shipper. Do not initiate or request Saturday pickup or delivery from FedEx. Additional shipping charges will be incurred.
- For clients outside USA & Canada: prepaid shipping does not apply. Client is responsible for the shipping cos
- For tracking purposes, keep a copy of your tracking number.
- Specimen may be safely shipped at ambient temperature.
Avoid specimen rejection: Tiger Top Serum Separator Tube with Patient Full Name,
Date of Birth AND Specimen Collection Date. A specimen tube missing this information will be rejected.
Patient Name on Tiger Top Serum Separator Tube must exactly match Patient Name on Test
Requisition Form. Do not use nicknames or abbreviations. For IgE Inhalant Panel, patient's zip code is required.