Saliva Collection Instructions
COVID-19 Diagnostic Test Specimen Collection Instructions
Test kit contents, saliva collection kit:
- • Saliva collection tube and cap
• Requisition form
• Biohazard Bag
• Absorbent pad
• Silver insulated bag
• FedEx 3373 Pak
• FedEx Express return shipment label
Warning: Eating, drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco, chewing gum, brushing teeth, or using mouthwash 30 minutes before the saliva sample
will invalidate results.
If the fluid in the transport tube has leaked in transit, please contact Customer Service at 206-365-1256.
- At least 30 minutes before saliva collection, rinse mouth with water by swishing water for 10 seconds.
- Complete the requisition form and place it in the Biohazard Bag’s side pocket.
- Pool saliva in mouth before filling the collection tube with saliva (not bubbles). It typically takes 2-5 min to generate a quality sample.
- Fill the tube with saliva up to the black wavy line. Do NOT overfill.
- Remove the funnel and replace it with the fluid cap (blue liquid). Be sure to screw the enclosed cap on tightly to release the preservative
solution. If the saliva you collected has not turned blue, continue screwing the cap down firmly until the fluid releases.
- Shake the tube for at least five seconds.
When finished, immediately place the collection tube in the labeled transport Biohazard Bag. Note: Leakage of transport fluid can
invalidate results! Make sure that the transport collection tube is sealed tightly to prevent leakage.
- Place the Biohazard Bag with all contents into the silver insulated bag.
- Place the silver insulated bag into the FedEx 3373 Pak and seal securely.
- Attach the FedEx Express return shipping label to FedEx 3373 Pak.
- Bring to FedEx drop-off location.
To ensure prompt delivery of your collection to the lab, we recommend you obtain and keep a FedEx tracking number when you drop off
your collection kit.