Watch the Video: How to use our dried blood spot collection card.
Convenient collection with a simple finger stick.
- Each blood collection card and lancet is for one-time use only.
- Avoid strong repetitive pressure (‘milking’) on the pricked finger. This may cause hemolysis or tissue-fluid contamination of the specimen.
- Do not rub or smear the blood sample.
- Air dry only.
- Missing or incomplete information on the test requisition form will delay the processing time of your specimen.
- Allow a sufficient quantity of blood to soak through to completely fill in the preprinted circle on the filter paper.
Test kit contents:
- 2 Alcohol Swabs
- 2 Lancets
- Blood Spot Collection Card
- 2 Bandages
- 1 Non-Latex Glove
- 1 Resealable Bag
- 1 Desiccant
- 1 Prepaid Priority United States postal Services box ( For USA Shipping)
1 Prepaid FedEx Billable Stamp (2nd Day Delivery), 1 FedEx Clinical Pak
- 1 Prepaid Return Envelope. ( For International Shipping)
- 1 Test Requisition Form
Out of state specimen kit contains:
Follow Instructions Carefully. Download instructions PDF here.
- Complete the patient section on the Requisition Form
- Print name, date of birth, and the date of collection on the Blood Spot Collection Card. Please ensure this information matches the Requisition Form.
- Unfold the cover to expose the Blood Collection Pad (hold the card without touching the collection circles on the pad).
- Continue the fold as you peel away from the back of the Blood Collection pad, exposing the back of the Blood Collection Pad.
- Make a fold as indicated in the image. Note: It is important that the blood is not in contact with the cover.
Tip: Taping the outer cover to the edge of a tabletop may help stabilize the Blood Collection Card.
- The Test Requisition Form must also include:
- Physician’s Signature
- Tests Requested
- Billing Information
- Specimen Ship Date
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water, then dry hands.
- Use the provided alcohol pad to clean the tip of the finger (ring finger or middle finger).
- Twist off the blue tab to break the seal on the lancet.
- Position the lancet against the inside tip of the finger. Press down firmly until an audible click is heard.
- Gently press the pricked finger from below the puncture site to allow for a large drop of blood to form.
Important: Wipe away the first drop of blood with provided gauze.
- Apply a hanging drop of blood. Apply the blood drops within each circle on the Blood Spot Collection Card.
DRYING & PACKAGING
- Air dry completely. Prop the card up and let air dry for at least 3 hours.
- Keep specimen away from moisture and sunlight.
- Once fully dried, tuck the cover into flap as indicated. Insert the Blood Spot Collection Card and desiccant into the resealable bag and seal tightly. Each resealable bag holds a maximum of 5 cards).
Important: Do not fold the Blood Spot Collection Card.
- Use the shipping supply provided in the package to return shipment.
- Specimen may be safely shipped at ambient temperature.
- US BioTek Laboratories must receive specimen within 55 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
Diet & Medications
It is suggested that you maintain your usual dietary habits and consume a variety of foods when possible within a couple weeks prior to blood collection, unless advised otherwise by your healthcare practitioner.
Avoid eating foods that may have potentially resulted in a previous adverse reaction and/or anaphylaxis.
Immunosuppressive drugs such as oral or intranasal corticosteroids (e.g. prednisone, beclomethasone, fluticasone, triamcinolone) and topical cortisone suspensions and creams, in addition to immune-modulating drugs, may affect test results for antibody assessment.
Medications: We strongly recommend consulting your healthcare practitioner prior to making any changes to your current medication regimen.