Whole Blood Collection Procedure (Blood Spot Collection Card):
Specimen Collection & Shipping Instructions
Read this page carefully before using the content of this package.
US BioTek Laboratories Whole Blood Specimen Collection Kit is intended to be used as a medium to collect and transport a blood specimen to the laboratory for testing.
Specific-IgA panels not suitable for breast-fed infants. All panels not suitable for ages less than 6 months.
The lancet provided has a needle depth of 2.0 mm. Caution is advised when using it on young children who may have an insufficient finger-surface-to-bone/cartilage depth as use may result in injury and infection. Consult your health care practitioner for guidance on this.
It is suggested that you maintain your usual dietary habits and consume a variety of foods when possible within a couple weeks prior to blood collection, unless advised otherwise by your healthcare practitioner.
Avoid eating foods that may have potentially resulted in a previous adverse reaction and/or anaphylaxis.
We strongly recommend consulting your healthcare practitioner prior to making any changes to your current medication regimen.
● Immunosuppressive drugs such as oral or intranasal corticosteroids (e.g. prednisone, beclomethasone, fluticasone, triamcinolone) and topical cortisone suspensions and creams, in addition to immune-modulating drugs, may affect test results for antibody assessment. For purposes of the assessment.
● Each blood collection card and lancet is for one-time use only.
● Avoid strong repetitive pressure ('milking') on the pricked finger. This may cause hemolysis or tissue-fluid contamination of the specimen.
● Do not rub or smear the blood sample.
● Air dry only.
● Missing or incomplete information on the test requisition form will delay the processing time of your specimen.
● There is a $15 fee for insufficient or unlabeled specimens received.
● Allow a sufficient quantity of blood to soak through to completely fill in the preprinted circle on the filter paper.
Warnings and Precautions
● The kit contains a silver bag containing a desiccant and a humidity indicator. To preserve the integrity of the desiccant, do not leave the bag open before, during, or after blood collection. Do not use the kit when ALL circles on the humidity indicator are pink. Leave the
humidity indicator and desiccant inside the bag with the collected specimen and seal the bag tightly for shipment.
● Do not perform this test if you are taking blood thinning medications or if you have a blood clotting disorder unless given authorization by your healthcare practitioner.
● The lancet is not suggested for use on children younger than one year old.
● Blood samples should not be collected from swollen or previously punctured sites, earlobes or fifth fingers. The fifth finger must not be punctured because the tissue-depth is insufficient to prevent bone injury.
The following video is a visual demonstration of the collection procedure:
You May Download the PDF Version of the Collection procedure by clicking on this link.
Whole Blood (Blood Spot Collection Card) Kit Contents:
2 Alcohol Swabs.
* Blood Spot Collection Card.
1 Non-Latex Glove.
1 Prepaid Priority United States postal Services box ( For USA Shipping)
1 Prepaid Return Envelope. ( For Internation Shipping)
1 Test Requisition Form.
Out of state specimen kit contains:
1 Prepaid FedEx Billable Stamp
(2nd Day Delivery), 1 FedEx Clinical Pak.
● Complete the patient section On the Requisition Form.
● Print name, date of birth and the date of collection on the Blood Spot Collection Card ( match the requisition form ). Unlabeled cards will be rejected.
● Unfold the cover to expose the Blood Collection Pad. ( Hold the card without touching the collection circles on the pad ).
● Continue the fold as you peel away from the back of the Blood Collection Pad, exposing the back of the Blood Collection Pad.
● Make a fold as indicated in the image.
It is important that the blood is not in contact with the cover.
Tip: ● Taping the outer cover to the edge of the table top may help stabilize the Blood Collection Card.
● Wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water then dry your hands.
● Use the provided alcohol pad to clean the tip of the finger. (ring finger or the middle finger) ● Twist off the blue-tab to break seal on lancet.
● Position lancet against the inside tip of the finger. Press down firmly until an audible click is heard.
● Gently press the pricked finger From below the puncture site to allow for a large drop of blood to form.
Wipe away the first drop of blood with the provided gauze).
● Apply a hanging drop of blood Apply the blood drops within each circle on the Blood Spot Collection Card.
Drying & Shipping:
● Air-Dry completely. Prop the card up and let air-dry for at least 3 hours.
● Keep specimen away from moisture and sunlight.
● Once fully dried, tuck the cover into flap as indicated. Insert the Blood Spot Collection Card, Desiccant and the Humidity indicator into the silver bag and seal tightly. (Each Silver bag holds a maximum of 5 cards)
Important: Do not fold the Blood Spot Collection Card.
Use the Postage Paid Priority Mail Box provided in the package.
Test results are sent directly to your practitioner's office and may take 7-14 business days from the date your specimen is received by the lab.